Photo credit: Elisa Berdica


Here, you will find answers to many important questions revolving around the Learning Agreement, course selection, examinations, and other topics.

    Course selection, credits, examinations

  • How many courses should I take?

    The number of courses depends on your home institution’s requirements. We recommend a workload of 20 to 25 ECTS credits which corresponds to 3 to 6 courses per semester.

  • I need more ECTS credits than stated in the course catalog. What can I do?

    Subject to prior agreement with the teachers, exchange students who need additional ECTS credits in certain courses have the possibility to obtain more ECTS credits through additional coursework and/or examinations (e.g. presentations or term papers). Please ask the teachers directly in the first week of the lecture period and take note of the information provided in the course catalog.

  • What is the course number or code for my course?


    All courses in the bachelor’s program are offered between the 1st and 3rd year. Courses in the master's program thus start in the 4th and 5th year. We do not use numbers or codes to designate our courses, but module names (for example O1, M1). These module names indicate the year of the program. The following rule applies: The further the letter in the alphabet and the higher the number, the more advanced the course will be:
    First year: A1-2, B1-2, G1-3, H1-2, I1, K1-2, F1-3
    Second year: D1-2, I2, K3, J1-2, C1-3, L1-2, N1-2, P1-2, R1-2
    Third year: E1-2, M1-2, O1-2, Q1-2, S1-2

    Political Science and Sociology:

    Courses in the departments Political Science and Sociology do not have module numbers. As a rule, the titles of the courses at the bachelor’s level include the description “Introduction to...” or “HS selected topics of ...“. Introductory courses are designed for students in their 1st or 2nd year of study, advanced seminars are attended by students in the 2nd or 3rd year. Introductory lecturesdo not require any previous knowledge, while students in (introductory or advanced) seminars should have some background knowledge.

  • Do I get grades for my courses?

    Please note that some courses will not be graded. These courses are assessed as passed or failed in the transcript of records. However, if you need a grade, this is generally possible. You may be required to submit an additional paper or take an examination in order to have your performance assessed. Please inform your teacher at the beginning of the lecture period if you need a grade.

    Our grades

    1.0 = very good (“sehr gut”) = an excellent performance;

    2.0 = good (“gut”) = a performance which substantially exceeds the average requirements;

    3.0 = satisfactory (“befriedigend”) = a performance corresponding to the average requirements;

    4.0 = fair (“ausreichend”) = a performance which, in spite of its flaws, suffices to meet the requirements;

    5.0 = “failed” (“nicht ausreichend”) = a performance which does not meet the requirements due to considerable flaws.

    Grades may be differentiated by adding or subtracting 0.3. The grades 0.7, 4.3, 4.7 and 5.3 shall not be assigned. In cases of doubt, the grades shall be rounded down in favor of the student.

  • I have been nominated for another school. Can I still take courses in Political Science, Psychology or Sociology?

    Exchange students from other schools may attend courses at the School of Social Sciences that are offered within the context of the University Wide Electives.

    Apart from that, exchange students from other schools may only attend courses in Political Science, Psychology or Sociology on a case-by-case basis and under the following conditions:

    • if there are still enough free places (in seminars);
    • if they meet the necessary requirements (in particular with regard to statistical knowledge); a transcript must be submitted;
    • after consultation with the competent exchange coordinator(s)



  • How can I register for an exam? What types of examinations do I have to register?

    Please note that there is a difference between course registration and exam registration -> courseregistration ≠examregistration:

    You have to register for all examinations (written exams, oral exams, term papers, presentations, etc.), regardless of whether you had to register for the course itself or not. This means: apart from your course registration at the beginning of your studies at Mannheim you MUST register for any learning performance if you want the final result to be included in your transcript - if you do not register, the final grade cannot be included on your transcript.
    You also have to register online for the exams of the German language and culture courses offered by the International Office - please pay attention to the course number when you register! (If you are not sure about your course number for your German course, please check it in your profile in myUniMA).

    Registration is done online via portal². After log-in, kindly click on “My Studies” -> “Exam and academic records” -> “Exam registration”. There you will find a detailed description on how to register. In case there is an exam missing or for any other exam-related questions, please send an email to Student Services and include your full name, student ID number, and the title of the exam.


    Please be aware that you need to pay a fine in case you miss the respective registration period. Thus, if you register for exams after that period you have to pay a fine of €10 per exam! You need to pay the fine at the Express- Service in L1,1 (ground floor) first, and then register for the exam.

    Only by registering within the general registration period, can you avoid a clash of exams. Exam times and rooms will be announced by mid-November.


    Please note that the registration periods for block seminars or midterms might vary! For those courses, please pay attention to what is announced during the lecture.


    Here you can find theexam dates. Kindly take note of the exam regulations regarding late exam registration and withdrawals.

  • I did not pass an exam. Can I take the examination again at my home university?


    If you fail to pass an examination in Mannheim, you usually have to repeat the examination on the alternate examination date. If it is not possible to take the examination on this date, you can repeat the examination at your home university under the following conditions:

    - your university is located outside of Europe
    - an academic or non-academic staff member at your home institution will supervise the examination
    - you will not spend another semester in Mannheim
    - you did not pass the examination on the regular examination date or were unable to take the examination due to health issues (in this case, a medical certificate is required)



    In order to register for a re-sit examination at your home institution, please send an e-mail as soon as possible after receiving your grade to:

    1. “Student Services":
    - Mr. Fabian Pfeiffer:
    Please enter the following subject: “Exchange student - Registration for the re-sit examination at the home institution” and indicate
    - the names of the respective course and teacher
    - your full name
    - your student ID number

    2. In addition, please send an e-mail to the secretaries of the responsible chair, indicating

    - the names of the respective course and teacher
    - your full name
    - your student ID number
    - contact details of the responsible exchange coordinators at your home institution

Academic advising

Do you have any more questions? We’re happy to advise you.