Bachelor's Program in Sociology

Studying Abroad

Are you interested in spending some time in another country? Whether you would like to go abroad for a period of study, an internship, or a Summer School – we’re happy to advise you.

Mandatory Internship

Where do I find a suitable internship? How do I write my report? Who will check my application?

Useful information on your studies

  • Course registration

    There may be different periods to register for courses. Please regularly check the School’s website for up-to-date information. Usually, the respective program managers will also inform you about the registration periods for the courses in your core subject and the supplementary modules by e-mail. An additional registration period may apply to your minor, depending on the subject you choose.

    You need to register for courses during the semester break between the fall and the spring semester. You can select your courses for the fall semester from early to mid-August and your courses for the spring semester in January/February.

    Registration is done via Portal².

  • Exam registration

    Each semester, you need to register online for those examinations you would like to take at the end of the lecture period. You will need to do so within a period defined by Student Services.

    Please note: The exam registration period falls within the lecture period, which means that you cannot register for your examinations via the Student Services’ campus management system before the lecture period starts.
    Each semester, the periods during which you can register for exams will be published on the Student Services’ website.
    Online registration is done via Portal².

  • Portal² – your campus management system

    Portal² is the University of Mannheim’s campus management system. Using the portal, you can, for example, view the course catalog, create a course schedule, and register for examinations.


  • ILIAS – our e-learning platform

    ILIAS is the e-learning platform we use at the University of Mannheim. On this platform, teachers can upload important course material, such as lecture scripts and slides, to make them available to you. If you have not yet joined the ILIAS group that corresponds to one of your courses, please contact the teachers of the respective course or their secretaries. The University IT will help you in case you have any technical questions.


  • Stay abroad and period of study

    It is possible to spend a semester abroad and still complete your degree program within the standard period of study. In fact, we encourage you to go abroad during your studies.

    If you would like to have the courses and examinations you take at a university abroad recognized, please contact the program managers or the departmental exchange coordinators before leaving. A Learning Agreement is required to make sure the credits you obtain abroad are recognized.

  • Applying for academic leave of absence

    You can apply for leave of absence during your studies citing a valid reason (section 61 subsection 1 of the Act on Higher Education of the Land of Baden-Württemberg (LHG)).
    A valid reason for being granted an academic leave of absence is for example:

    • an internship,
    • a semester abroad,
    • maternity leave / parental leave / parenting, or
    • health issues.

    The application must be filed before the semester it corresponds to begins. Further information can be obtained from Student Services.

  • Second minor or additional ECTS credits

    According to the examination regulations, students can only take one minor. If they attend additional courses on a voluntary basis, they will not appear on their transcript of records. 

  • Exam review

    According to the examination regulations, students are entitled to being granted access to their examination records after taking an exam. Exam reviews are scheduled and carried out by the chairs. It is the students’ responsibility to look up when a review is scheduled to take place (i.e. via the chair’s website).

  • Research participation credit

    Students in the bachelor's program in Sociology, who would like to take the advanced module in Social Psychology, are required to accumulate 5 research participation credit hours (VPN-Stunden) until their fourth semester (exam regulations from 2017) or until their fifth semester (exam regulations from 2019), when they register for their examination.

    More information

  • Attempt at improvement

    According to the examination regulations, students can voluntarily resit an examination they have already passed from their core subject to improve their grade, which is possible once during the entire bachelor’s program. The better of the two grades will count. Please contact Student Services during the exam registration period either in person or by e-mail to register for your attempt at improvement.

  • Bachelor's thesis

  • Disenrollment

    If you have any questions on disenrollment, please contact the Student Services team.

    Disenrollment either happens

    • automatically at the end of the semester if a student has fulfilled all degree requirements, thereby completing the program, or
    • on request (completion of the program, transfer between universities during the semester).

    Please be aware that it may be favorable for you to remain enrolled until the semester ends, since this entitles you to a low-priced student health insurance plan, and your parents may continue to receive child benefit.




2:00 p.m.
5:30 p.m.

O 048

Intensive course for study orientation

Help with choosing a course of study: Get to know your skills and interests better and receive support in decision-making.

14:00 – 17:30
O 048



2:00 p.m.
5:30 p.m.

O 126

Intensive course for study orientation

Help with choosing a course of study: Get to know your skills and interests better and receive support in decision-making.

14:00 – 17:30
O 126

Services for students

Do you have any more questions? We’re happy to advise you.

If you have any subject-specific questions regarding your degree program (course contents, program structure, stays abroad), don’t hesitate to contact our program managers. If you have any questions on organizing your studies (examinations, grades, re-registration, academic leave of absence), please contact the Student Services office II team. International students can also turn to the International Office for information on topics not covered by subject-specific academic advising (visa, health insurance, housing). Please adhere to the consultation hours.

Stefanie Thye, M.A.

Stefanie Thye, M.A. (she/her)

Program Manager Sociology
University of Mannheim
School of Social Sciences
A 5, 6
Building A – Room A 417
68159 Mannheim
Consultation hour(s):
Please note: Only online consultations are offered currently. Please make an appointment at